Civileme:

This was the full LM 8.0 PowerPack set -- development, servers, docs,
Star Office -- I checked every package on the list. I have no idea as to
how many applications that included, but df -h says there are about 2.4
GB of files on the drive. Sorry, but I didn't check on how much space
Win98 used. (It didn't use it for more than an hour.)

BTW, the LM times included the XFree configuration, whereas the Windows
video parameters couldn't be set until the video drivers were loaded.
(In fairness to Microsoft, I don't think that Trident 975 chips existed
when Win98SE was released.) As for Windows apps, this was pretty damn
lean -- it didn't even include Solitaire (but neither did the first
Mandrake installation). Of course, it did include all of the AOL/MSN
garbage.

Finding drivers and codes wasn't that big a deal. First, because Lazarus
is very much a stripped down machine, not many were required. Second,
experience has taught me to keep all of those disks in one pile, and to
make sure that any codes are clearly marked on them. Documentation is
another story -- but real men don't need manuals. Third, the goal wasn't
to have a well-tuned and current installation, just enough to be up and
running. (And I think that we would all agree that no installation of
Windows can be considered complete without an anti-virus program.) But
you're quite right -- if this had been a real Windows installation, I
could look forward to many hours at the MS update site, and lots and
lots of reboots. The drill would be repeated as each new application is
loaded, along with an alarming depletion of my cash reserves.

The biggest hassle in the whole exercise was getting the Windows upgrade
version to install on a blank disk -- it's not exactly straightforward,
and I'd forgotten some of the dodges. Mandrake, on the other hand, had
no qualms about overwriting the Windows installation.

The next step is to install LM 8 on my main machine. My plan is to do a
few backups, then a full install including some repartitioning and
reformatting -- but to leave /home alone.

My conclusion: All of that stuff about how hard it is to install Linux
is crap. Pretty much all that I did was click my mouse and let the
system do what it wanted to do. Other than for the partitioning and
package selection, about the only change that I made in Mandrake to the
default entries was the mouse setting -- even the graphics card and the
dreaded VIA chipset were detected correctly.

Regards,
Carroll