It was Sat, 30 Jun 2001 02:22:16 -0400 when Fireman71 wrote:

>Moved my desk and plugged my computer back in and tried to connect to the
>internet with "/sbin/ifup ppp0" as root like i have always done and the
>modem picked up the phone line and dialed the number then almost before the
>first ring it hung up and linux responded with a somewhat cryptic "Failed to
>connect (error 17)".

Perhaps a far out thought: is the power plug that you use now, grounded in the
same way as the one you used before that move?
I have seen strange problems like this happen because of grounding problems.

Paul

--
"I prefer rogues to imbeciles, because they sometimes take a rest."
-Alexandre Dumas (fils)

http://nlpagan.net - Registered Linux User 174403
       Linux Mandrake 8.0 - Sylpheed 0.4.99
    ** http://www.care2.com - when you care **