Here's the thing....The modem, which is external, was never disconnected so
i could not have inadvertantly connected it to the wrong serial port.

Right before doing the shutdown command i had been online (checking email).
I did "/sbin/ifdown ppp0" and waited for the connection to drop and then did
"shutdown -h now". Then disconnected the monitor and its power cable and set
it in the floor and disconnected the power cable from the back of the
computer. I then moved the desk with the computer, modem, keyboard, mouse
and speakers as one unit to its new location. I rerouted the cabling or the
surge protector and plugged the computer back into the same outlet it had
been in before and then sat the monitor back on the desk and hooked the
cables up for it.

I have tried making a new dialup connection with the same results. The modem
picks up the line, dials then waits about 3 seconds and hangs up. I made the
original connection and the new connection both with netconf. The new
connection was setup the exact same way that I set up the old one when it
was working.

I have made sure that both the connections for the serial cable to the modem
are secure and that they are screwed in so that there is no chance of them
being lose or anything. I have also reseated the phone lines.

The only changes i have made to the system in the past month or so is to
configure Bastille with the interactive option but that was about 2 weeks
ago and i have been connecting to the internet fine since then up until the
computer was moved so this shouldnt be the root of the problem.

Thanks for all the responses by the way. :)

Still trying to resolve this one,
Ian K. Harrell
EMail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]