civileme wrote:
>> at install time, there is an option to give root no password.  Then
you can function as user, but if you need super-user, you just ask for
the program and you don't get asked for the password.  <<

I don't understand this. If root has no password, is there any
protection with regard to the Internet, or does the password protect
only on one's own computer anyway, in which case the lack of a root
password would not be a problem? In other words, does the fact that root
has a password have anything to do with Internet security? Can root
change from password to no password *after* installation? I wouldn't
want to install again if I can avoid it.

This would still force me as user to run the superuser file manager and
superuser terminal, would it not? That's one of the annoying
things--opening a different file manager because the one I'm using
doesn't show the whole system, so I have to launch another file manager
as super user just to see all the files and directories on MY OWN
system!! My impression is that having no password for root would not
change this situation, but this is obviously a guess on my part.

>> This works well under 3 conditions:

1. You are really the only user. <<

In my case, yes. The only other person in the house is my husband, who
rarely uses the computer and most certainly wouldn't use the Linux side
of it.<g> Visiting grandchildren are not allowed to use the computer,
nor is anyone else.

>> 2. You are the only user allowed to ssh into the machine <<

What is ssh? Since I'm the only user, I must be the only one allowed to
"ssh" into the machine, but I have no idea what that means--secure
something, I'd guess.

>> 3. You configure Webmin to run from the local loopback only. <<

What is Webmin? What is a local loopback? How do I configure Webmin?

>> It is not perfect, but relaxation beyond that lets in the sort of
nonsense you see in Windows all the time. <<

Not on my computers!
 --Judy Miner