Perhaps this is off subject and I certainly would not
want to start a "linux is bad, very very bad" war,but
it seems to me that in my few short weeks apart of
this list, I have seen more questions around things,
like fonts, sound cards and video cards. Now, I know
hardware support is not Mandrakes fault, but the font
thing does sort of blow my mind. Althought it does not
*seem* like a usability issue, it has certainly
hindered my abilility to solve my own problems.
For instance...I want to download the reference manual
off of mandrakes website. I visit the page and can't
read a thing. Fonts are messed up. So I join a mailing
list that gives me advice on how to fix my fonts.
(xfree86 file) Great, that helps, but I still can't
see windows fonts. (or mandrakes webpage) Mailing list
advice: Import windows fonts. But I can't do that, I
don't have windows installed on the same machine.
Mailing list advice: I get links to websites to
download Font files. Can you guess what happenes next?
They files are all executable or in "windows format"
And don't tell me to run WiNE! I can't even download a
manual to tell me what WINE is!!!

My fonts are still not perfect. Ans what really gets
me is that the Mandrake web-developers created half
their site in the "unreadable-by-linux-Arial font
face"

I did finally find instructions on the mandrake
website on how to rememdy this problem. But I had to
copy the text from the unreadable arial-font-faced
webpage and copy it into Star-office.And the
instructions are timeconsuming...at least for someone
who justs want to surf the web after this whole
ordeal.

All this hassle just to be able to read information
from the manufacturers website.

By no means take this as Linux-bashing. I love the
system and enjoy learning all it quirks. The moral of
my story is: Sometimes pretty colors and good-looking
fonts make computing a whole lot easier.

<smiles>

 And don't call me Judy!

=====
Jennifer