在 2001 七月 11 星期三 02:36,Marcia Waller 寫道:
> Dear All,
> I already have the latest java installed in my LM8. I went to Konqueror and
> configured it as suggested.

How did you configure it?
I first tried to use the GUI Konqueror configuration tool, where you can put
in the path to your java file, but it didn't work for me.

I then did it manually, using the console and it worked.

1- open a console
2- su  to root
3- cd to /etc/
      in it you have a file named 'profile'. that's where you have to add the
path to java.
4- here a very basic knowledge of vi is very handy.
vi profile
type 'a' to insert the following line (modify it according to your path and
version)
PATH=/usr/local/j2re1.3.0/bin:$PATH
type esc to go back to command mode.
type ':x' to save and exit.
5- you can type 'cat profile' to check that it's ok.
restart xwindows.
the above worked for me.

> When I went to the chat page and clicked on
> chat I first would get a message that the applet is opening then it did not
> open and I got an error message that says <unable to load JSSE SSL stream
> handler, https support not available.>

does this appear when using netscape?
I don't use netscape, so I wouldn't know what to do.

> Also, when I first open Konqueror I get a box with an error message that
> says <cannot find ns plugin> or something close to that.

I believe that setting up the path as above could solve the problem with
Konqueror. give it a try.

I am sorry: i didn't see you previous emails until right now. You were asking
me whether to install the latest version or not.
I certainly wouldn't know whether it is a good choice or not, but I know two
things:
1- what worked for me
2- reading this forum, I noticed that the latest version  of everything is
not necessarily the best for individual cases.
Faced with the choice of version, I decided to play it safe and downloaded
the version from http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/ that got prized.
j2re1.3.0 I believe.
I downloaded the intel version even though I have an AMD Duron chip, but that
worked fine with me.

Anguo.