Marcia,

Try one more thing and if it doesn't work, we'll have to ask more advanced
people for help.
In the console, type 'which java'.
-----
$ which java
/usr/local/j2re1.3.0/bin/java
-----

> Thanks for the instructions. I went into the file as root and did what you
> described

Exactly?
Can you confirm that you did change the path to fit yours?
According to the which java command above, my path is:
PATH=/usr/local/j2re1.3.0/bin:$PATH
Did you set up yours according to your path (which would be different since
you have another version of java).

> except I did not know exactly where my entry should go. I put it
> under the other Path entry.

Yes, this question got me puzzled too. I believe anywhere is fine, on a
separate line.
I put my command more towards the top <g>.

> It is there now, but nothing has changed yet. I
> am perplexed that this does not work now after working before. Thanks for
> the help.

I am a newbie like you. I found the information I needed by reading docs in
the blackdown site, especially the following faq:
http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/docs/support/faq-release/FAQ-java-linux.html

i downloaded the j2re1.3.0 version for the following reason (as I said, I
played it safe, not knowing what I was dealing with, and it works for me on
konqueror):
---------
May 04 2001
JavaWorld has selected our Blackdown 1.3 JVM for Linux as a finalist in the
Best Java Virtual Machine category of its  Editors' Choice Awards.
--------
I then downloaded : j2re-1.3.0-FCS-linux-i386.tar.bz2 from one of their
mirror sites. http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/mirrors.html

If that doesn't help either, we'll have to ask other people.
Please do ask again, providing as much information you can (even irrelevant,
it doesn't hurt <grin>)
what is the cpu?
which file did you download/install?
from where?
what is the version of your kernel?
Type the following in the console:
        java -version

blessings and best of luck,

Anguo

在 2001 七月 12 星期四 05:38,Marcia Waller 寫道: