To anyone who can help me!

Epox 8KTA3 motherboard, 128 megs RAM, ATI Xpert 2000 Pro video card with
AGP (2x selected), Microsoft Optical Wheel USB mouse (in previous installs
of MD 8.0 the mouse has/has not worked through both a USB port and a PS/2
port with an adapter).  Installed done from the 2 CD ISO download, in the
RECOMMENDED mode.

I am about to try another of my reinstallations of 8.0 on freshly formatted
partitions.  Each time i have reinstalled, my mouse has worked as expected,
has not worked at all with a frozen cursor, or has worked and then stopped
working with a frozen cursor.  On many of these install the install did not
pick up my NIC - other times it did.  Also, the system frequently told me
that module xxx was missing.

So,

1.  Should I use the RECOMMENDED or EXPERT install format?
2.  Should I go for a minimal install and gradually add more features from
the 2 CD set?  If so, what is the minimal configuration that will give me a
GUI and network access?
3.  When problems occur, what logs can I investigate to determine if the
install or upgrade went well or had problems, what problem occurred to
cause the mouse (or other feature) to disappear, etc.

There must be a methodical and systematic way to go about doing the install
and isolating problems.

Another thing I noticed when i booted Win98 via LILO tonight, immediately
after Lilo boots the selected OS, my screen is totally scrambled until the
Win98 blue screen comes.  I have noticed this a couple of times in recent
days (in fact its occurrence may coincide with the mouse problem).

Any and all help appreciated.

Preston

---
Betti Ann & Preston Smith