On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 19:40:33 +0100
Frank <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm actually a beginner. I've just installed Mandrake linux v.8.1
> Everything seems ok but using both KDE or GNOME I get a large dotted square
> moving together with the cursor. Can anyone help me ?             Thank
> You!!!!!!!!!

I do not mean to insult either way by over simplifing this answer or by
making it seem complicated.

Open a terminal and su to root.
Enter the command gedit to launch the a text ediors (there are others that can be used
but I prefer gedit when woking in X)

In gedit select Open and navigate to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
Choose that file and it will appear in the gedit main window
By either scrolling or arrow keys navigate to this section

 # **********************************************************************
# Graphics device section
# **********************************************************************

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Generic VGA"
    Driver     "vga"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "NVIDIA GeForce3 (generic)"
    VendorName  "Unknown"
    BoardName   "Unknown"
    Driver      "nvidia"
    # Clock lines

    # Uncomment following option if you see a big white block
    # instead of the cursor!
    #    Option      "sw_cursor"

    Option      "DPMS"  "on"
EndSection

Change this section
 # Uncomment following option if you see a big white block
    # instead of the cursor!
    #    Option      "sw_cursor"
To this
 # Uncomment following option if you see a big white block
    # instead of the cursor!
         Option      "sw_cursor"
by removing #

This finishes the edit so from the geidt panel menu select save, and you may then
close gedit.

Log out.
At the login screen under the Menu setting select Restart X server.

When X restarts you should have a normal cursor.

    Charles