Partial success, partial failure:

On Wednesday 18 July 2001 11:55 am, "Miark" wrote:
> The nVidia drivers that come with Mandrake are not 3D
> capable. You'll need to go to  nVidia's web site to download
> the proper driver RPMs and the Installation Guide.

Okay, so now I'm clearly using the nVidia X module; I now get a pretty nVidia
splash screen when X starts up, and I have a bunch more screen depths and
resolutions to choose from. So that's great, and an excellent example of the
successes one can have from reading the fine manual.

So NOW when I launch tuxracer (just for instance--this actually happens with
ALL full-screen gl apps), the screen blanks, I hear the monitor tick to a
different frequency, my speakers play the first note of the music, and then
nothing; I hang with a black screen.

If I hit "esc" and "ctrl-alt-del" enough, I eventually get back to my
desktop, having triggered the "Log me out" function in KDE, I guess.
Sometimes I get KDE's "Really?" dialog, and other times I log all the way out
and see KDM instead.

The fine manual claims that such errors are caused by old or conflicting
versions of GL libs laying around. I guess I have no reason to doubt that,
but visual examination of the files (Appendix C of the fine manual) seems to
indicate they're all of the nVidia variety.

Surely somebody's come up against this before. Any hints at which of the libs
is likely to be the one? Or should I rpm -U NVIDIA_GLX, then refresh Mesa,
then manually delete all the conflicting components, and reinstall
NVIDIA_GLX? Any other thoughts or opinions?

--
Dan Ray
Director Custom Applications