> So NOW when I launch tuxracer (just for instance--this actually happens
with
> ALL full-screen gl apps), the screen blanks, I hear the monitor tick to a
> different frequency, my speakers play the first note of the music, and
then
> nothing; I hang with a black screen.
>
> If I hit "esc" and "ctrl-alt-del" enough, I eventually get back to my
> desktop, having triggered the "Log me out" function in KDE, I guess.
> Sometimes I get KDE's "Really?" dialog, and other times I log all the way
out
> and see KDM instead.

I have the same problem. First when I installed Mandrake 8.0, programs which
use OpenGL didn't work. So I downloaded nVidia drivers. I installed them and
everything was ok. TuxRacer , glTron, and Chomium worked perfectly. A few
days later I change something in Mandrake Command Center, and MCC changed
XF86Config, switch again to nv, and removed load GLX. I repaired XF86Config,
now I run XFree without errors, have nVidia splash screen, but games don't
run. I have the same behavior, game switch monitor, play few notes, then
hang with blank screen. I reinstalled nVidia drivers but it didn't help.
Mikolaj