if I understand you, roadrunner is a cable modem, and you are assigned an IP
number when you boot? So it is a truly always on connection.
There are "re-director" webservices that will give you a prefix "subdomain"
from their server and once you log in and start the service, thet domain name
will connect to whatever IP number you were at when last you setup a
conversation with their server. this way you could alow access to a index
page of your creation allow web access, password protected and as secure as a
bank (if you want to learn what a bank has to go through) and set up just
like any web site... just depends on how much you know and how much you want
to learn.  You might be AMAZED at really how easy and how cool you will feel.
Anyway you might already have Apache installed, heck it might be running.
what happens if in a browser address, you type (without the quotes, of
course) "http://127.0.0.1";? If you get a page from Apache that says you
haven't finnished setting up the web server, write the list and we can take
it the next steps, our you can read the Apache Documention. Heck, If you
don't see that page, write the list and let us know that and we can help you
get the next step too.
You might do a search on gooogle for dynamic DNS. The one I was useing is
down right now, but www.ods.org seems to have some info for that.