On Sun, 29 Jul 2001 09:56, Romanator wrote:
> On Saturday 28 July 2001 06:48 pm, Judith Miner wrote:
> > Sridhar wrote:
>
> I taught myself MS-DOS when I was three years old. Since I had no
>
> > previous conceptions on what an OS should be like, I learned rather
> > easily. <<
> >
> > Surely you must realize that you were a very unusual three-year-old. For
> > one thing, you must have known how to read and spell, as well as how to
> > use a keyboard. Most three-year-olds can't read and spell at all, or if
> > at all, not well enough to use a text-based operating system like
> > MS-DOS. And then, once you start it, what do you do with it? Most
> > three-year-olds aren't interested in playing with commands at a command
> > prompt.<g> They want to run Jumpstart Preschool or Reader Rabbit or
> > Sesame Street. They want to do it the way my granddaughter does: start
> > the computer; after Windows starts, put the CD into the CD-ROM drive;
> > the program autostarts; click your way through it; click on whatever
> > ends it when you're done--the voices tell you what to do. Want to run
> > something else? Put that CD into the drive and repeat the above.
> > Computers in 1985, which is probably about when you started, were a lot
> > different than they are today, and so are operating systems.
>
> Sridhar,
>
> Is it true that you weren't allowed to use pointy objects like scissors?
> And, since then, fate had decided you enter the world of software rather
> than hardware?  Ouch!
>
> Roman

Yeah, my parents took my scissors away from me just as I was about to
complete my 100% efficient solar array that would've solved the all the
world's energy needs.

16 years later, I _still_ haven't gotten them back :-(

I think I'll go throw a tantrum until I get what I want :-)

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson