* Tom Malone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010730 06:12]:
> I am not sure if this question is more appropriate for this list or maybe the
> PHP list, but I'll post it here just in case - let me know if I am out of
> line... =)
> I have Apache installed with mod_php - I am just wondering:
> Is the standard Apaceh directory structure (i.e.: htdocs, or public_html)
> automatically created when Apache is installed, or do I have to create it
> myself?  If i have to create it myself, how do I make it the default
> directory so that when I go to localhost/ in my browser, it will load my
> index page? Thanks - sorry if this is OT...

If you installed Apache when you installed Mandrake 8 (you didn't
mention OS distros or versions) it should have created the file
index.html in the document root /var/www/html/

You should be able to view this by typing:
http://localhost/

into your browser address bar.  If not, there are a bunch of things
that could be wrong.  If you can see the Apache/Mandrake welcome, you
can rename that file and create a new index.html and you are off and
running with your own Intranet or (if you are set to allow access to
the world) Internet website.  If you get an error message, let us know
what it says.

--
Jan Wilson, SysAdmin     _/*];          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Corozal Junior College   |  |:'  corozal.com corozal.bz