tazmun wrote:
> I can only speak for sure of fairly modern Maxtor drives, the smallest being
> 4.3 Gig.  They do supply the utility from their website.  It is included
> with their standard utility disk.  However it is called "write test" there.
> I have run this test on several different drives with no ill effects that
> I'm aware of.  It has successfully brought drives back that were previously
> unuseable.  However I would not run it just as normal service, but rather if
> all other options failed.  On mine the chief reason for this was trying to
> bring back a ext2 files system to fat 32 again the drive became unusable
> running dos fdisk.  Possibly this is a different process then what was
> referred to as low level formatting in earlier puter days?  I remember there
> was something called "RTFM" type hard drives.(Not sure about that
> abbreviation or name) and they did have some sort of low level formatting
> that was different from our current EIDE drives and of SCSI drives I have
> not a clue, but perhaps that should be addressed here too.  Especially SCSI
> as those are more common in high end systems.

Tazmun,

Thanks for the response!  Ahh, yes, IIRC, MFM was the second type of
hard disk available for the PC / hobbiest.  (MFM had something to do
with Manchester encoding, IIRC.)   IIRC, RLL was another type of early
hard disk (or was it just an encoding type).

Anyway, I think we're in the era I'm curious about -- maybe someone else
will recall which disks were not supposed to be low level formatted, and
whether there was a valid technical reason or not.

regards,
Randy Kramer