I can't get midi files to play, except in sndconfig.  See other responses
below.  I don't know what most of this means.  Thanks for your help.

On Friday 10 August 2001  2:36, Frans Ketelaars wrote:
> "Adams, Jamie" wrote:
> > It seems odd that you are only getting 'snippets' of sound. Is it
> > possible that there is an IRQ or DMA conflict somewhere?
>
> <snip>
>
> Yes, I think that might well be the case. Btw, we're talking about
> an old ISA SB16, and not the relatively new SB16 PCI I think...

It's definitely an old ISA card.

> The Creative Labs names sometimes cause confusion :)
>
> The driver seems to be loaded ('snippets' of sound); check with
> '/sbin/lsmod | grep sb' .

Here's what I get
sb                      7136   1
sb_lib                 33120   0  [sb]
uart401                 6224   0  [sb_lib]
sound                  54256   1  [sb_lib uart401]
soundcore               3504   5  [sb_lib sound]
usb-ohci               14496   0  (unused)
usbcore                47248   1  [usb-ohci]

> Use 'cat /proc/interrupts'
Here's what I get
           CPU0
  0:     288781          XT-PIC  timer
  1:       4523          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  5:          0          XT-PIC  soundblaster
  9:       5973          XT-PIC  usb-ohci, eth0
 12:     216728          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
 14:      20301          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:        498          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
ERR:          0

and 'cat /proc/dma' to check for IRQ and
> DMA problems.

and here's what I get there.

 1: SoundBlaster8
 4: cascade