> Yes, I believe it is in the "shared" slot with the PCI.
but the real question I _meant_ to ask was that there was nothing in the
other shared slot.

> > "open KDE Control Center=>Sound=>Sound Server and made the default the
> > sound driver (neither ALSA nor autodetect) then logged out an rebooted".

Ok, if it says "neither ALSA nor autodetect" and there is one other choice,
why would you choose autodetect, since that was part of "neither"? have you
tried OSS? damn that sounded a little to much like the father in me, I do not
mean to sound so gruff. Excuse me please.

> This part confused me.  I don't have "default sound driver" as an option
> here.  "Sound I/O Method" is currently set to autodetect.  My only choices
> are "autodetect", "Open sound system", and "No audio input/output".  I have
> no other choices.

> > Might you have some servers or mail checking going on in the forground
> > that may be using all the CPU resources for a few seconds? what version
> > of Mandrake are you running?

just because you did not start them, does not mean you do not have servers
running. In Mandrake, servers are running when you start up, by default, as
long as you installed them when you installed the OS and have not made sure
they do not start at boot and are turned off as you work.