On Thursday 16 August 2001 05:43 pm, Dennis Myers wrote:

> Excuse my jumping in here, but, did you load LM 8.0 and do you have
> the infamous via 686b southbridge chipsets on the computers. I am no
> expert but would LM 8 disabling DMA carryover to the windows boot?
> That may be what slowed down the system.  This is just speculation on
> my part, cause I'm no expert. Maybe Tom Brinkman or one of the other
> hardware gurus knows for sure.

   Never used a laptop. I have a VIA chipset, and dma has always been
enabled during various 8.0 or better installs for all drives. That
infamous VIA bug, (much ado about nothin IMO) only possibly maybe
rarely affects huge cross ide file transfers. So it couldn't possibly
be involved here with one HDD. I also doubt that Mandrake in any way is
responsible for the WinME problems. WinME is it's own problem.
--
Tom Brinkman                       Galveston Bay

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com