On Thursday 16 August 2001 18:43, Dennis Myers wrote:
> On Thursday 16 August 2001 17:13, you wrote:
> > Are you saying that it may be bacause the two OSs are on the same HD?
> >
> > Unfortunately with the laptop installing them on seperate HDs is not an
> > option.
> >
> > -e-
> >
> > >Ed wrote:
> > >           On both of the machines, when WinME is installed ALONE, it
> > >   screams, all games are really fast, and launching apps is nearly
> > >   instant.
> > >
> > >           Once Mandrake (and Grub) are installed, the machines slow
> > >   down significantly.  I would say they run at 10-20 percent of the
> > >   speed they were at.  This includes opening new windows, launching
> > >   apps, and 3d performance.
> > >
> > >I run a AMD K6-2 533 MHz with 256 Meg SDRAM, WinME and Mandrake 7.2 on
> > >separate hdds and everything works fine. WinME was fine even when I had
> > >Mandrake 8.0 Standard installed.

> Excuse my jumping in here, but, did you load LM 8.0 and do you have the
> infamous via 686b southbridge chipsets on the computers. I am no expert
> but would LM 8 disabling DMA carryover to the windows boot? That may be
> what slowed down the system.  This is just speculation on my part, cause
> I'm no expert. Maybe Tom Brinkman or one of the other hardware gurus knows
> for sure.

Dennis has a good point.  Earlier I worked with one SONY model where hardware changes
made by linux were not reset by a warm boot, so a reboot to windows was impossible
because the processor (which comes up in 80286 compatibility mode) could not be talked
out of 386 protected mode and would not allow 286 instructions to try to manipulate A20
and higher address lines.

Try a reboot with a power down and a direct boot to windows.  The PIO disk mode
settings might
be carrying over.  We should have out a kernel that fixes this problem in a matter of
days.

Civileme

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com