On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 08:20:42PM -0500, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> On Thursday 23 August 2001 07:49 pm, Matt Greer escribió:
>
> > This list is doing a good job cracking down on html, now if only we
> > could do the same for top posters.
>
>     'top posting' is appropriate sometimes. I use it sometimes when I
> need to leave the whole post I'm responding to intact, unlike in this
> response where I appropriately only need to include quotes that I'm
> addressing. I move my sig up under my response when top posting to
> signal that I've not added anything below and to try an' save readers
> from scrolling down needlessly.
>
>     What's considered much worse by many is leaving pages of the
> original post plus others reponses (often refered to as 'obsolete
> quotes'), and then adding your response on the bottom where it's often
> out of context to the original subject or even the the last comments
> above your response.
>
>     The issue with top posting is that a few people don't like it, and
> some over use it.  With HTML or anything but plain text, it's nothin
> but abuse and/or ignorance of netiquette and net conservation.

Tom, sorrry I disagree strongly. Top posting is never appropriate.

Please peruse the following links:

<http://www.malibutelecom.fi/yucca/usenet/brox.html>
<http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/quote.html>
<http://fmf.fwn.rug.nl/~anton/topposting.html>

And last but not least:
>From rfc1855 [located at the FAQ org]

If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
enough text of the original to give a context.  This will make
sure readers understand when they start to read your response.
Since NetNews, especially, is proliferated by distributing the
postings from one host to another, it is possible to see a
response to a message before seeing the original.  Giving context
helps everyone.  But do not include the entire original!

--
Steve - Toronto ICQ 35454764

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com