On Friday 31 August 2001 01:59, Pascal Goguey wrote:
>     Hello,
>
>     I am running Mandrake on a Abit motherboard (Abit BP6)
> with dual celeron. It looks like the smp kernel works fine.
> The celerons I use are quite old (400 MHz) and their FSB clock
> rate is 66 MHz. I was thinking I would upgrade to more recent
> CPUs (about 800 MHz each, 100 MHz FSB). But I was told that
> the 100 MHz celeron may not run an SMP machine. In fact,
> it may work on a single processor only., so there is (according
> to that person) no point in "upgrading".
>     Does anyone have data about this issue?
>     Does anybody use a BP6 with 100 MHz celerons?
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Pascal

Yes, the BP6 and a few other boards were the only ones that ever
made dual processor Celeron systems.

You can buy overclocking SMP certified warranteed Celerons from

err, the people who could help you are out of business
http://www.computernerd.com/whatwentwrong.html

Anyway, the original Celeron had the multiprocesing pins messed up.  The
moire recent ones had the pins disconnected internally (more properly, never
connected at all).  Intel was very cautious about letting the Celeron compete
against its Pentium II/III/IV line and has always kept it crippled in some
regard.  Ity is likely that you _can_ overclock some celerons, especially
older slower ones simply by kicking the bus to 100.  A 300MHz Celeron becomes
a 450 when properly cooled and placed on a 100MHz bus, but above 366, the
processors had to be individually tested, which is what Computernerd did so
very well.

Civileme