The main aim of the LSB is compatibility across _distros_, not across multiple
platforms within a distro (BASH, X, GNOME, KDE, etc.). What you propose would be
covered by other bodies such as freedesktop.org.

BTW, directory structures are covered in the FHS (Filesystem Heirarchy
Standard), which has been adopted as part of the LSB.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson