Price varies depending on where you get it.
MSRP is $1099 (but don't pay that!!!!!!)
.... you can find them from many online resalers for $700-800
Not cheap, but this is a 4.1 MgeaPixel , 3x Zoom camera, with exceptional
quality.

I'm not even worried about getting gimp to recognize it. I can mount it as a
scsi device, and just go get the pictures as a regular file. No sweat, no
problems, no need to "aquire" the source.
It's a USB device, so you need to run "modprobe usb-storage" to initialize the
device. After that it's available to mount, with (in my case):   mount
/dev/sda1 -t vfat /mnt/cam
>From there, the files in the camera are available under /mnt/cam
So easy it hurts. forget trying to get gimp, or gphoto to "recognize" the
camera, it just doesn't need to!

Ok.. With SOME cameras it does. Some cameras do require special drives to make
them available. It's a failing of many of them. The Olympus S4040 does NOT.

It makes life just that little bit easier. :)

    Cheers!

            Ric

Hmm... I must like this camera, I sound like a fsck'ing salesman!!!!!   :)
Now I just need to get a good, inexpensive photo printer to go with it.