I need to be able to have two-way file access with Windows machines on the
same network as my Linux box. I also must be able to print from my Linux
box to a printer connected to a Windows machine on the network.

Someone suggested I look at Samba, but I'm having trouble finding how to
install it. I'm pretty much a total newbie on Linux, so maybe some general
help in this area would be helpful.

What I have read about Samba so far seems to say that it is used for
sharing files coming in and printers that are attached to the Linux
machine, but I need two-way file sharing and the only printer is connected
to a Windows machine and can not be moved. Will Samba do what I want or do
I need to look elsewhere?

Setup: two machines running Windows ME and one machine running Mandrake
Linux 8.0 (the Power Pack boxed set if that matters), on a standard
ethernet network connected through a NetGear RT314 router. The printer, a
HP LaserJet 5p, is connected directly to one of the Windows machines and is
shared for all machines on the network to use. All machines are also
connected to the Internet through the router, which is connected to a 3Com
'tailfin' cable modem on a 768K/128K pipe. The Internet connection works
fine under Linux, so I believe the network is setup and operating correctly
on the Linux machine.

Thanks for any help,

Ron