As usual Tom's Mandrake User Online Page has detailed instructions on SAMBA
set up
http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/connect/index.html#ss

However I would suggest setting it up slightly differently to the way Tom
suggests which edits the Samba config file.
A Linux newbie (like myself) will find the Samba set up utility SWAT more
intuitive.

SWAT is accessed by typing 'localhost:631'  (without the quotes) into your
browser URL line.  You will then see a number of pages which show all the
important Samba parameters (I stress important because there are loads of
parameters which you really do not want to know about!)

One neat feature of SWAT is that there is a hyperlink on every parameter
which if followed takes you to the relevant entry in a Samba manual to
explain it to you.

Particular things to remember when using SWAT.

1/ You have to declare which directories and printers in your Linux PC you
want to 'advertise' as being available for sharing. (There is a special way
of declaring the HOME directory of each user)

2/ You have to decide if security will be directory based or user based.
(user based is simpler)

3/ In 8.0 SWAT defaults to no encryption on user passwords while windows
defaults to encrypted passwords. It ain't gonna work until you change this.
(8.1 seems to be OK)

4/ The user names you use in Samba should also be valid user names in your
Linux set up (I dont think this is strictly necessary, but it makes life
simpler)

5/ V Important*****  The passwords Samba uses are NOT the same passwords used
by Linux. There is a separate password file. I found SWAT confusing when
defining passwords so I found it easier to use the command line samba
password command (Note it behaves differently if you are in root or a user)
To ease confusion it is an idea to make the Samba passwords the same as the
Linux passwords

6/ SWAT also shows you a status screen so you can see if PC's can actually
connect.

As for a book, there is an O'Reilley book on line you can read (I think there
is a link to it from the SWAT welcome page) To be honest though Samba is so
complicated I became thoroughly confused trying to read the book. You can get
simple sharing with Win95/98 working without resorting to hours of study (
especially if you remember points 3 and 5 above  :-)   )

Finally you will want to be able to 'browse' your windows network like in
network neighbourhood. I found LISa the best tool for this. You will then be
able to use konqueror to browse the windows shares (I cannot get this to work
in 8.1)

Another alternative is Gnomba but that requires you to 'mount' the remote
windows shares.

Hope that Helps and apologies if I have made some mistakes.

Derek