|-----Original Message-----

Yeah it sounds like it was tied to the MAC address instead of either
Netbios naming or the DHCP lease request itself.

|The only I'm worried about now is if my lease expires, will
|the ip address I'm using be given away to someone else some
|day? If I understood you, you said that as long as that ip is
|active within a (default) period of 5 days, I'll be ok, even
|though I now no longer have my network card set up to get an
|ip via dhcp.

There is ALWAYS a chancee that you'll loose the IP, especially if there
is a shortage of addresses available.

However even after 5 days, your IP is thrown to the bottom of the pool
(heh, analogy not intended). Other available IP's are distributed first
on a time bases. That is, the leases that expired long ago get first
priority for re-allocation.

So it's quite possible for your system to be disconnected for months,
and get it's old IP back upon rejoining the network if there are plenty
of IP's available for new systems.

-JMS