On Sun, 28 Oct 2001 07:31:28 -0500, Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> +1100
>
> >Actually, the best part of ext3 is that it is fully backwards and forwards
> >compatible. An ext2 partition can be mounted as ext3 to get journalling, and
> >an ext3 partition can be mounted as ext2. There is no formatting or
> >converting involved - just use the appropriate mount options.
>
> You're kidding me!! That's great! So when I get 8.1 and set that up, I only
> need to change fstab and that's all? Remount and that's it?
> Paul

Yep. Note, however, that ext3 is probably the slowest journalling FS, probably
because it essentially a version of ext2 with journalling bolted on. Civileme
put some very informative FS benchmarks up on mandrakeforum.com about a month
ago. He seems to like XFS the best.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

"I think that throttling writers is fine and good, but as it stands now, the
dirty buffer balancing will throttle anybody, not just the writer."
                        -- Linus Torvalds