On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 11:42:11 -0800, "John Hokanson Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On Monday 29 October 2001 12:23 pm, you wrote:
> > > As for the security risks regarding MSIE, I could easily
> > > write a Javascript program that does some pretty mallicious
> > > stuff. You hear more about VBScript viri because of the
> > > volume of computers that support it.

Only IE supports VBScript. Just about all mainstream browsers support
JavaScript.

> > This doesn't hold water... as those same computers also support
> > Java.

JavaScript isn't Java. It is totally different.

> There are many different visions of Javascript though. It's easier
> to do it in VBScript. It's not the fault of the language.

The versions are not that numerous and they don't enough to pose any real
problem. VBScript is an inherently insecure language, just like ActiveX.
JavaScript is moderately safe, Java is _very_ safe (it runs in its own VM
sandbox), and C# is apparently quite safe (the DotGNU folks are using it so it
must be good).

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

                Windows 2000, Users Zilch.