Linux versus WindowsXP HaredwareUntil hardware manufacturers start including
Linux drivers with their products (at the very least even a biniary module),
Linux hardware support is not going to happen.

Most consumers like to be able to buy 'hardware item X' off the shelf at the
local shop and then expect it to work when they get home

this is not an issue that can be solved by trying to get consumers to only
buy Linux capable hardware, as this will only add to the confusion
surrounding Linux, this must be addressed at the point of manufacture. A
prime example being win modems, simply telling people to buy a real modem is
not the answer - your not the one who is out of pocket)

Linux hardware installation needs to be made as simple as windows, plug item
it, install drivers from CD (reboot - who cares) and it works end of story

I have a fair sized collection of items here that i cannot use with Linux as
there is either no supoport, or the howto explaining how to get it working
will most likely take a day out of my life, and have the possability that i
will knacker something else in the process.

Rick

Kitty5 WebDesign - http://Kitty5.com
POV-Ray News & Resources - http://Povray.co.uk
TEL : +44 (01270) 501101 - FAX : +44 (01270) 251105 - ICQ : 15776037

PGP Public Key