My newly installed LM8.0 now halts during bootup with the message
"Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:05". I must have done
something to cause this, but beats me what. Booting with the floppy
produces the same results.

Booting into Windows 95 (this is a dual boot machine) now shows about 2
seconds of garbage on the screen between the boot bitmap and the
appearance of the GUI -- not that this bothers me; I mention it as a
possible symptom.

What might this be? How do I fix it? How do I avoid screwing it up
again?

Thanks in advance,
Warren
--