I had intermittent sound problems under KDE until I told it to use OSS
instead of ALSA.  The easiest way to check/change is to go to the
Configuration menu, then KDE, then Sound and finally, Sound Server.  On the
General tab, make sure the Start aRTS Soundserver on KDE startup is checked
(if it's not, that's probably your problem).  On the Sound IO tab, change the
method to Open Sound System (mine was autodetect).  When you hit reply, it
will warn  you something about possibly locking up apps using sound.  If you
have any apps open close them and then tell it to restart the sound server.
You can go back to the General tab and press the Test Sound button to see if
it made a difference.

Joe