Alright, here is what I have:
a Dell GX1P with a Crystal Audio CS4232 sound card, on the board
It finds the driver but it can't load OPL3.  It says YM3812 and OPL-3
driver, OPL3 not detected ff.  I run sndconfig and the first test comes back
good, I can hear the wav, the midi gives me an error, errors about
/lib/modules/2.4.8-26mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/OPL3.o.gz: init_module: No
such device
/lib/modules/2.4.8-26mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/OPL3.o.gz: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.8-26mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/OPL3.o.gz failed
/lib/modules/2.4.8-26mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/OPL3.o.gz: insmod synth0
failed

I play the system Beep in Startx but XMMS doens't put out any sound.  The
display says its playing.  I also don't have a /dev/dsp directory.  I'm more
than a little new, read everything I could and am confused as to what I need
to have to get this to work, what I might be missing, and how to go about
fixing it.