Civileme wrote:

> On Thursday 24 May 2001 07:30, Martijn de Keizer wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Somehow the Mandrake 8.0 installation program does not recognize my
> > existing Windows 2000 partition.
> >
> > That leaves me with the only option of installing Mandrake on the HD and
> > erasing WIn 2000 (which I really need for work). Why doesn`t the
> > installation program
> > properly recognize WIN 2000? Does it have to do with NTFS (which I use?)
> >
> > Would partition magic make a difference?
> >
> > Thnaks for any suggestions, Linux is great but looking at two unused
> > install CDroms really sucks.
> >
> > Martijn
>
> NTFS is a proprietary file system developed by Microsoft.  Before win2000
> there was NTFS4 which we can read and (experimentally) write and then there
> was NTFS5 with Win2K.  Again NO information is available without paying a fee
> and signing a non-disclosure agreement.  The NDA is something almost all
> linux distributions will not do....  It would be a gross betrayal of its
> customers to produce non-free(as in speech) software.
>
> Win2k seems to run just as well on FAT32 partitions which linux can deal
> with.  Your option is to buy a proprietary program to reduce the size of the
> Win2K partition, use Win2K with FAT32 instead, and let DiskDrake deal with
> the partitioning problem or add a HDD to your computer--Remember that a new
> HDD from a surplus house (even an ATA-66 or ATA 100 in the capacity of 7-15
> G) is approximately the same price as a Partition Magic off-the-shelf that
> can deal with Win2K NTFS5 partitions.
>
> Civileme

Hey guys,

I have Partition Magic 6. It supports Win2k, Win ME, FAT16, Fat32 Ext2,
Linux and more. It's an easy partitioning tools to use.
On one of my PCs, I have Windows NT4, FAT16, NTFS4, Windows 2k NTFS5 and
Linux Mandrake 8. No problem. In addition, you might want to check out
System Commander 2000.

--
Roman
Registered Linux User #179293