i had the same problem at first but got it to work.. finally.

first, i tried opening it from the konsole, it did nothing.
just like pushing enter on an empty line.

then i remembered that at the end of the install it said some package was
not installed, ( "adaba" ) .. so, what the heck, i went to their webpage
again and downloaded that "adaba" stuff and installed it.
now it works just fine. i configured the link on my desktop to
run the link from a console, and it starts ok.

note: i did not have this startup problem until i installed JRE.
       at first i installed Soffice without their JRE and it worked
      fine....