Assuming that your CD-ROM drive is /dev/cdrom:

# umount /dev/cdrom

This should be done as root. Once done, try playing your CD.

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 15:24:23 -0000
"Hugo Ferreira" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Sridha,

How do you do this?

H.F.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sridhar Dhanapalan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Ethan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Mandrake Newbie List"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2001 2:53 PM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Mandrake 8.1 Music cd

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 22:45:42 +0800
Ethan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Myers, Dennis R NWO wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]On Behalf Of Ethan
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2001 8:10 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [newbie] Mandrake 8.1 Music cd

Hi all,

I am trying to play Music CDs under Mandrake 8.1 but the error from
the
CD player says: CDROM read or access error, make sure that you have
access to /dev/cdrom.... the permissions are root:root but ls -lL does
not give any output... pls help how can I play CDs on the CDrom? BTW,
can mount a normal CDROM....

thanks,

.ethan

Ethan, are you using something like CDplayer or Alsaplayer? You can
not mount a audio CD, it is just put in the CDROM and then started
from the CDplayer. Not being well versed in command line I use the
players I installed on the KDE desktop so am not shure how you use an
audio player from command line. But if you use KDE click on the
kpanel>multimedia>sound and pick alsaplayer and then click on the
folder icon on the left of the gui and your CD should start. HTH

I am using CD player from the KDE>multimedia option. Not using from the
command line. It does _not_ work.... like I said, it gives the error
above. pls help. thanks, /ethan
Make sure that the CD-ROM drive is not mounted, as has been mentioned
above.
Supermount shouldn't give any trouble, but sometimes it helps to disable
it.