Hugo Ferreira wrote:
017a01c16e7f$3789bc40$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">
Ethan,

I have had the exact same problem and have finally solved it.
Anyone please feel free to correct or suggest a better way of doing this.
Try the following:

1. log in as root (in a KDE (or any other) X session, I'll assume KDE for KMixer).

2. unmount the cdrom (just in case, and do as Sridhar indicated):
    umount /mnt/cdrom
    Do it twice to make sure it is not mounted. Make sure ypu have no
    CD in the drive.
done.
017a01c16e7f$3789bc40$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">

3. Do a "ls -la /dev/hdc" to make sure it's there

4. If it is, you must now set a sym link from /dev/cdrom (which your player needs) to
the "/dev/hdc" which is the device that you know works because the /mnt/cdrom is also the
mountpoint of the /dev/hdc device and that worked for you. We will do the same for "/dev/cdrom"
    ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom
[root@Echelon dev]# ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom
ln: `/dev/cdrom': File exists
017a01c16e7f$3789bc40$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">

5. Now make a "ls -la /dev/cdrom" to check the link. You should see that the permissions will
enable anyone to use this mount point.

6. Place a CD and fire up your CD player. You should now have music.

Still get permissions error.

BTW, what does blinking white text over red background mean ??

i get:cdrom@
[root@Echelon dev]# ls -l cdrom
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           16 Nov 17  2001 [cdrom -> ../cdroms/cdrom0 ] <---- blinking white over red background....

017a01c16e7f$3789bc40$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">

7. If you don't, fire up your KMixer and make sure the volume is up. Do the same for
your speakers. If this does not work, you are out of luck. See below for more hints**

8. Assuming you got this far and all is ok, then change the access for the CDROM.
    Do a "chmod 666 /dev/hdc".The "ls -la /dev/hdc" should confirm the changes.

9. log out of root

10. Login as a user
11. Fire up your CDPlayer (and KMixer) and enjoy.

**
Ok. If you did not make it, you have to make sure your sound card is ok (only works if
you have the sound card connected directlly to your CD Drive). Place a CD in the drive,
press the drive's play button. Launch the KMixer. Twiddle with the KMixer's volume and
speaker's volume to check for sound. Works, ok no major hardware problem.

Next. Test the cards driver. Here someone may help me. How can we do this. I have an
ISA sound card ad used RedHat's sndconfig. After probing and set-up, this utility samples
two files. You should here the sound. Any other way to do this?

I got my CDPlayer working thanx to DaveF who is a Mandrake expert
(see http://www.mandrakeexpert.com ).
If all else fails, try creating an incident here.

HTH,
Hugo.