Problem is if you look at his output, both /dev/cdrom0 and /dev/cdrom2 are
sym links to the same device. Something was setup wrong during install.

By any chance did you pick a security setting other than "low" during
install? I noticed that anything above low (medium, high) supposedly
restricts the devices to specific groups (which in MHO doesn't work too
well). Most of my problems (sound related) went away when I changed
security back to low.

-mm