> On Wednesday 21 November 2001 05:12 pm, H.J.Bathoorn wrote:
> > Since mdk8.1 I'm burning floppies like hell. It's not the drive
> > itself, I tested that, so it's got to be Mandrake.
> > I know Linux is more demanding on floppy quality, but 2 good
> > floppies out of 10 is overdoing it :(
> > Anybody else have similar troubles?
>
>     Yes, but not that bad, and with many Linux versions.  I believe
> my problems stem from not havin bought any new floppy's in several
> years.  They do go bad.  Also many were overformatted to <= 1992K and
> that tends to make them forever unstable, even when reformatted to
> 1440k.
>
>    What fs (ext2, DOS)are you using? and what does your floppy fstab
> line look like?

Uumh! Yes I'd already taken all that into consideration and found that it had
gotten worse in 8.1.

Funny thing; the same floppies formated on a pure DOS machine are found
acceptable again by mdk.
Another funny thing is that win4Lin does a reasonable job as well, though!

I haven't tried fiddling with the etc/fstab entry yet, wanting to know if
this was happening to others as well. Apparently it does!

My guess is that setting fs to fat instead of auto might help, but I'm not
sure as that will force me to have to change the line everytime I want to
mount a ext2 floppy.
On the other hand I'm not so sure on the /dev/fd0 and /dev/fd0u1440 devices
and the way they are/or are not linked. (and what's the fd-link to
../proc/self/fd doing there?).......any idea's?

Here's  my floppy line from etc/fstab, it's hasn't been altered since the
installation.

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto
user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,sync,exec,codepage=850,noauto 0 0