Thanks for the tip about the RedHat version of mozilla-0.9.6. Alas, I don't
really have the time at work to install all the -devlop rpms and compile
galeon from it's src.rpm. I tried the rh6 version of the ready-made rpm
(installed along with mozilla) but it immediately hiccups:

/usr/bin/galeon-bin: error in loading shared libraries: /usr/bin/galeon-bin:
undefined symbol: _t24__default_alloc_template_2b1i0.free_list

I guess they were serious about the g++ binary incompatibilities...

Ah well, it'll have to wait till I have more time I guess.

Thanks also to the other responses.