Tobias over on the expert list posted this recently

http://www.mail-archive.com/expert%40linux-mandrake.com/msg45156.html

"for all those who want to use the cooker rpms of mozilla with their
mandrake 8.1, i've rebuild the source rpm. you can find them here:
http://rpm.digitalprojects.com.

they work just fine with the galeon 1.0 rpm from
http://galeon.sourceforge.net. both display pngs as expected.

have fun!"

I've tried it out it works fine.
If you have already tried to instal libpng3 then you must remove it first,
and then reinstall libpng2 even though it says it is already present.
The command is
rpm -i --replacepkgs libpng2 blah blah

Tobias' Mozilla and the Galeon from sourceforge seem to work OK at least on
my 8.1, and no compiling necessary.

Derek