On Wednesday 05 December 2001 10:50 pm, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
> I have recently purchased a new machine and have had to take it back to
> the store as the modem is giving me hassles. The machine is an AMD
> Thunderbird 1Ghz with what I believe, or have been told is, a Creative
> modem 56kb/s in it.
>
> I have paid for the machine but feel that as they knew it was going to
> only have Linux (Mdk 8) on it that they should have made sure the
> hardware supplied i.e. the modem worked under Linux without having to
> disable Com 2.
>
> Can anyone confirm/deny that the conflict is there? Surely a brand new
> machine needn't have part of its hardware, Com 2, disabled for it to
> work with a modem? Is the make of the modem the problem i.e. is it a
> winmodem or semi winmodem?
>
> Comments please as I am due to pick up the machine tomorrow or perhaps
> later today.
>
> TIA
The modem card should work from any of the serial port positions.  PnP may
have put it at 2 or at 4.  Possibly the card doesn't like to share an
interrupt  COM1 and COM3 are on IRQ4 and COM2 and COM4 are on IRQ3.  It is
actually rather important for a modem to have its own IRQ for best
performance.

See http://cae.best.vwh.net/irqtune/ for more reasons on why this is so and
also for a most useful utility to make modems perform better.  Since there
are other considerations for performance adversely affected for
network-connected PCs if this tuning is done, no distro does it out of the
box.

Civileme