cat is short for "catolog" like the "type" command in dos, it just shows it
to the screen (as default) unless you direct it to a printer que.
 in order to copy the info to a file, (without the quotes, in the text
console, as root, in a users (named et for me) home directory) I do a "touch
proc-pci"
this creates a file named proc-pci. then I do "chmod 775" this lets everyone
and everything see and write to this file (see "man chmod" for more info
about that) then I do "cat /proc/pci|/home/et/proc-pci" (after the /proc/pci
is a pipe (above the \ on the key board) this file you can copy (as root if
root was who created the mount points (most common as is done during
install)) to your windows drive with cp /home/et/proc-pci
/mnt/win_c/"whatever folder in windows you want"
of course you must change the folder and drive names to match whatever you
have.

We CAN be sure that some 3 com modem are win-modems, since the name Winmodem
is a registered trademark of the 3com corp.