> Less see... take two aspirins, no more caffeine for 10 hours,....
No More caffeine for 10 hours, are you SICK! Someone also said I should
see a doctor after a headache lasted a week so I quit Aspirin and am now
waiting for the doctor to have an open appointment :)

> post the output
> of (in a text console, as root, without the quotes) "cat /proc/pci".......
real easy if I was sending email from my Mandrake 8 box but alas Mr
Gates seems to have partially locked me into using Windows for Netscape.

> and the real model number of your modem would be good.
Will have to ask the shop on Monday for the model number. Just had a
brain wave....I'll check on the gromitc modem page to see if the USR
Sportster is supported or only certain model numbers.

> the part we are looking for
> in "/proc/pci" is about a "communication controller" or something else about
> communication.
Will do the cat command and then view it and see if I can pick anything
up about the controller. Errrr, real newbie question: How do I view the
file I created with cat or will that let me view its contents as well?
Should I perhaps open the file in a web browser like Konquerer or
summit?