On Sunday 09 December 2001 02:44 pm, Richard Wenninger wrote:
> > cat is short for "catolog" like the "type" command in dos, it just
> > shows it
>
> I thought cat was for concatenate.

    I'm with you Richard.  BTW, I like using 'less' better

   Back to the original topic tho. Yes, USR invented Winmodemsİ, but they
make many models that aren't, including internal pci hardware modems.
Probly their best known, least expensive is the model #2977 56k fax/
modem, ~$38 up.  OTOH, they make a lot of modems that go into 'ready
made' computers, and they are almost always winmodems (if you've got a
Dell with a USR modem it's a safe bet it's a winmodem).  Somebody else in
this thread said 'linmodems, not a winmodem'. Linmodems are winmodems,
but with a software kludge that gets 'em to work with Linux about as well
a fake modem ever can, and at the expense of the rest of your system.
What can ya expect from a $2 winmodem (no matter what you got hoodwinked
into payin for it)?
--
____Tom Brinkman _________________ South Texas, USA_____

Q:      Minnesotans ask, "Why aren't there more pharmacists from Alabama?"
A:      Easy.  It's because they can't figure out how to get the little
        bottles into the typewriter.