On Sat, 8 Dec 2001 11:57, civileme wrote:
> On Friday 07 December 2001 03:27 pm, Harm Bathoorn wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Just to share my experiences. I acquired a Pentium4 chipset and ditto
> > motherboard (Intel D845WN). To boot I received a lovely present:
> > a Hercules prophet 4000XT (64mb) video card.---- Sheer horror! The whole
> > lot put together.
> >
> > The motherboard has a (not too helpful) cd-ROM with it. It (of course)
> > contains m$ drivers, but not the right ones...well done, wintel!:(
> >
> > Mdk8.1 installed reasonably well, considering it didn't recognize any of
> > the chipsets........ but the Hercules AGP card (with Kyroschips) was/is a
> > killer. I can handle a gui at 16 bits...That's it!!...:(
> > And frankly that's the only (major) hassle I haven't been able to deal
> > with, as of yet.
>
> Kyros has been going out of its way to be uncooperative for drivers, and if
> their corporate attitude continues through the passage of UCITA, then even
> reverse-engineering drivers will not be possible, because it will be
> illegal.
>
> But right now, it appears if you want gaming performance in linux, look
> elsewhere.

Strictly speaking, the card is actually Guillemot, because it owns Hercules,
the actual chip is a PowerVR3 (newer than one as featured in VideoLogic Neon
250 and Dreamcast), although its remade as an STMicroElectronics Kyro...So
that means the 32MB PCI one won't work too well in Linux either.

Only problem is, gaming performance in Linux seems to be non-existent - with
my Riuva 128ZX I just happen to miss out on the "Unified Driver Architeture"
which basically means Nvidia writes
one-driver-fits-all-and-if-your-card-is-two-years-old then its not supported.
Then when you get a new graphics card, you get XFrees that don't have
antialiasing or something.

> > The integrated soundcard works under linux excepting trouble with shared
> > IRQ's due to the extra USB ports. After disabling the USB ports (I only
> > need one, I've got an external USB-hub) my shutdown problems were
> > over--the shutdown procedure hung itself over shutting down USB ports:(
> > Which made me change over to ext3 -- and I like it!:)
> > I got the whole lot going in a reasonable way, as this mail proves:)
> > BUT there's plenty more to be done afore it meets my expectations, it
> > wasn't all as cheap as it sounds. Wintel products don't come for
> > free.....!
> >
> > SO....I thought: Why not install Winblow$ and see what I'm missing?
> > Looked up my ol' 98 OEM cd-ROM and away she was.......
> > Installing the (not all too correct ) drivers from the Intel cd-ROM did
> > the job, then the cd-ROM that came with the Hercules card..OK! (not
> > terrific but OK!)
> > But, but...NO Sound:( and still IRQ problems of course.
> >
> > I swear: I will never purchase anything from Intel again if there's an
> > AMD option available!!
> > And that's putting it mildly! Two days ago I would have pounced on- and
> > gladly assaulted anyone connected in anyway to Intel.
> >
> > Time heals all wounds! And if it doesn't, some good soul will have
> > written a linux driver (which I couldn't) somewhere to releave my woe's:)
> > That's why I love this OS and the people along with it!:) -- HOPE! --
> >
> > Good hunting,
> > Harm Bathoorn.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Civileme