On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 16:52:39 -0500
Ed Tharp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> OK try "cat /proc/interrupts"
>

> On Tuesday 11 December 2001 10:19, you wrote:
> > Just enquired on the price of an external USR modem and was quoted about
> > R800. Before I end up having to fork out this dough I wondered how to
> > make the system detect new hardware i.e. the ISA USR modem, eventhough
> > it doesn't display it under the Mandrake Control Centre when I am logged
> > as as either a user or root.
> >
> > Tnx to Ed who suggested I try the command
> > of'/proc/pci|/home/hylton/proc-pci'. Turns out on opening the box that
> > the USR modem is in an ISA slot.  I tried to use the command but replace
> > the PCI with ISA and all I got was something about command not found.
> >
> > Before I have to cough dough, please tell me how to get this working.
> > Perhaps Dave in Iowa would let me know how he gets his USR modems
> > working?

In some ways the installation and set-up of an ISA modem is the same as that
for a PCI modem, but there are some major differences.
An ISA will nearly always be a jumpered, you will need to use these to manually
set the IRQ, I/O, and Com port.
These must be properly set so that there are no conflicts with any other
hardware or with any settings in the system BIOS.
The setserial command can them be used to define your modem and allow for its
operation in linux.

Here are 2 sites that may be of assistance in your endevor.

 http://linux.nf/isamodem.html
 http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO-1.html

   Charles