On Wed, 2001-12-12 at 02:32, David wrote:
> Here's how I get my USR ISA Sporster modems to work........ (I am not
> good at command line stuff....I just use GUI so bear with me) .....

        The same for me.  I'm just starting to learn.

> First I disable in the BIOS the Plug and Play (set it to
> NO/Disabled)option for your system. -- (This MUST be done in order

        I think this is a must in general?

> Second -- I pull off all the jumpers that are on the ISA modem card
> itself.......(figured this out through trial and error)

        Turns out those jumpers for configuring the USR Sportsters make the
modem conform to the ISA Plug & Play Standard when we pull them off.

> Then I click the <setup tab> Then the <device tab> and change the
> <Modem Device> to one of the other settings if dev/modem doesn't work
> by default. I try one at a time -- going through the first 8

        Mine Is one of the other ones also.  I think we should be figuring out
how to get /dev/modem to point to it (like the mouse should be
/dev/mouse?).

        Mine missed the "free(*) upgrade to 56k" by one day.  8-(((

        So its  s l o w !  Other than that no problems in 3 os's (Windows 3.1 /
98SE / Mandrake Linux 8.1).

        Wes