On Thursday 13 December 2001 12:43 am, you wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Dec 2001 11:10:26 +1100
>
> Brian Parish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> frantically pecked out this
message:::::
> > That's true, but with one proviso - don't forget to tidy up the boot
> > manager too.  If you just use fdisk to remove the Linux partition,
> > chances are you are killing your active partition and therefore your
> > machine don't boot no more.
> >
> > Before removing anything, make your C drive (in M$ terms) your active
> > partition - i.e. the one that boots.  Then reboot and check that Windoze
> > comes up with no sign of a boot manager.  Then you can safely zap the
> > Linux partition, create a new one and format at for Windoze use.
> >
> > Have fun with the new machine and the REAL operating system!  I guess the
> > next questions we see from you will be about Samba ;-)
> > /brian
>
> sssssssssssssh...you just had to tell them, didn't you?  :P
>
> but really...if they're both living on the same drive and windows was there
> first isn't that partition already active? I can't really remember cause I
> don't drool boot anymore, so it's been a little while since having to deal
> with this.
>
> however, i did forget to mention one thing and that was this:
>
> after you're finished blowing away that cute little penguin on that drive
> you will want to also clean up the mbr with this command so that you won't
> have to tell LILO that there is only one OS on the machine when it starts
> up.
>
>       fdisk /mbr

As far as I understand, the default behaviour would be for the LILO install
to make whatever partition it is being installed on active, so that would
usually be the Linux boot partition.  Therefore just fdisking this out of
existence would I guess leave you without a bootable partition.  Considering
we are talking WinME here, that would not be a bad option!

/Brian