On Thu, 13 Dec 2001 14:22:50 +1100
Brian Parish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> frantically pecked out this message:::::

> On Thursday 13 December 2001 12:43 am, you wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 Dec 2001 11:10:26 +1100
> >
> > Brian Parish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> frantically pecked out this
> message:::::
> > > That's true, but with one proviso - don't forget to tidy up the boot
> > > manager too.  If you just use fdisk to remove the Linux partition,
> > > chances are you are killing your active partition and therefore your
> > > machine don't boot no more.
> > >
> > > Before removing anything, make your C drive (in M$ terms) your active
> > > partition - i.e. the one that boots.  Then reboot and check that Windoze
> > > comes up with no sign of a boot manager.  Then you can safely zap the
> > > Linux partition, create a new one and format at for Windoze use.
> > >
> > > Have fun with the new machine and the REAL operating system!  I guess the
> > > next questions we see from you will be about Samba ;-)
> > > /brian
> >
> > sssssssssssssh...you just had to tell them, didn't you?  :P
> >
> > but really...if they're both living on the same drive and windows was there
> > first isn't that partition already active? I can't really remember cause I
> > don't drool boot anymore, so it's been a little while since having to deal
> > with this.
> >
> > however, i did forget to mention one thing and that was this:
> >
> > after you're finished blowing away that cute little penguin on that drive
> > you will want to also clean up the mbr with this command so that you won't
> > have to tell LILO that there is only one OS on the machine when it starts
> > up.
> >
> >     fdisk /mbr
>
> As far as I understand, the default behaviour would be for the LILO install
> to make whatever partition it is being installed on active, so that would
> usually be the Linux boot partition.  Therefore just fdisking this out of
> existence would I guess leave you without a bootable partition.  Considering
> we are talking WinME here, that would not be a bad option!
>
> /Brian

Indeed! but wouldn't that then leave a gaping hole where the user would need a real
OS? and he'd just toasted one to make room for...???
--
daRcmaTTeR

Registered Linux User 182496
Mandrake 8.1
 10:05pm  up 4 days, 0 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00