There are two components to this...

1) Are the user accounts valid.

Before trying anything from Windows, you should always...

"smbclient -L Sambabox -U Windowsuser"

Where SAMBABOX is the netbios name of the SAMBA server, and Windowuser
is the Windows Login name (that you used on the Windows machine to log
in initially) that you have added to Samba via "smbpasswd -a
Windowsuser".

If Samba prompts for a password and shows you a list of shares, it's
likely that your problem is not with Samba itself. Which brings us to
part two...

2) Samba "broadcasts" the available shares via it's NMB component.

Samba basically tells the machines that Server \\Sambabox has
\\Sambabox\share1, etc. shares available.

It's up to the Windows machine to "make it back" to the share itself, or
rather to find a way to the Samba server.

The Windows Machine needs a way to resolve the "Sambabox" entry to an IP
address. Since Samba is NOT NT it cant use the same mechanism to do this
that NT utilizes...

Normally NETBIOS name to IP resolution is done by the DNS, but you
probably don't have one.

You must then "help" windows. There are several ways to do this...

A) Create a HOSTS file (in the same location as your LMHOSTS or
LMHOSTS.SAM example file) which contains the IP - NETBIOS equivalences.

B) Use a local DNS to do the work

C) Enable the WINS component in Samba and create a local HOSTS entry,
and then point the workstations to the Samba box's IP for WINS
resolution...

All three work although A is easiest for small LANs...

You should be able to "ping" the SAMBA box by NETBIOS NAME

I.E. "ping Sambabox" from a command line in Windows should work.

Bear in mind that this is different, but related to the FQDN for your
machines!

Re: USER B

It sounds like your login is failing, and you are falling thru to a
"Guest" share which has no rights!

You MUST NOT get an invalid password message, if you do Samba normally
has rejected the password sent by Windows... See my other posts about
this...

Changing the hashing depth to 8 helps.

Also remember that Windows uses Encrypted passwords, when you use
SMBCLIENT locally you are sending clear text so if it works locally but
not remotely (from Windows) it's likely that you do not have encryption
set up properly...

If smb.conf is correct, you may be missing a crypt lib or something else
and/or too high of a security setting...

-JMS